Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fashion is a Verb!

To Fashion: (v) to imagine, create, and express; To choice, a fashion statement. To fashionfashion something, be it an idea, an artifact, or so forth, is to give meaning to one's existence (Wong)

While I found Wong & Henriken's article on fashion interesting, I wasn't really intrigued until I came upon the paragraphs that addressed style. As an English teacher, I specifcally teach style--as it pertains to writing-- to my students. This connection brought the idea of fashion into my mind.

While I keep reminding myself that fashion is a social construction, used to attract people as birds use feathers to attract mates, why can't the same apply to writing? Students develop a style that evolves over time as they themselves mature and learn new ideas. Over these years they hone and fashion a style of their own--well, most of them do. Those who do not see the value in writing lack this "fashion sense." This may be an interesting metaphor to use in my classroom. Their writing style is exactly how they are presenting themselves to an audience, and regardless of their intent, they are taken at face value due to superficial mistakes, such as conventions, mispellings, etc. The thoughts beneath are often masked by these problems. WRITING IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION TO! It is a method of communication!

I think that I'll use this metaphor in my classroom on Monday to help relate the potential or detrement writing can have on a student's impression on others.

P.S. I cannot figure out how to get the highlighting off of my text! Sorry! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment